Monday, March 5, 2012

Gospel-centered Obedience: Moving Toward Spirit-led Obedience


Once we see the need to filter all of life through the right-standing and power that Christ gives us, the final two steps in this model for Gospel-centered Obedience should seem more natural. The examples I gave in the previous post should help you on your journey of exploring His boundless grace. Even though I've only been walking it a short while, I can tell you that it's a great path to be on. For the first time in my life, I truly understand what Paul means in Romans 8:1 when he says, "There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death" (ESV).


Step 4: Grace and the Spirit Transform My Heart
Step 4 in this model for Gospel-centered Obedience recognizes that remembering the gospel changes our motivation. The what and how (the actual act itself) may not change, but all of a sudden the WHY has become empowered by the Holy Spirit and the truths of Scripture. Galatians 5:18 declares that "if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law." In other words, the unrighteous deeds and failure to do good things in the life of the believer do not lead to eternal consequences. This is scandalous nature of the gospel. It is not fair that my sin (as a believer) does not condemn me... but it no less true.

Does this mean that we should just keep on sinning because we now have this free pass? Well, Paul would say that if you think this way you're probably not regenerated (saved) to begin with (See Romans 3:8 and its context along with Romans 6). It is unlikely that people could have leveled such a charge against Paul if he had not been saying  at least something like what we're discussing here today... grace is scandalous and unfair... and that's what makes it grace.

For the unbeliever who thinks he has grace and continues in sin so that grace may abound more and more... he stands condemned because he doesn't understand that the gospel sets him free from both the consequences of sin AND the power sin.

But for the believer who responds to grace with a grateful heart, the upward cycle of denying the flesh and putting to death the sin in the flesh is NATURAL. Please note that I did not say it is easy. Taking up our cross and following Jesus should be the greatest form of freedom known to man. It should be a joy! But it is not always easy. The grace of God exhibited in the cross and resurrection and the Holy Spirit of God work together to transform us into new creations (2 Cor. 5:17) - "the old has passed away; behold, the new has come." Because of this new creation, obeying rightly has been made possible. Not only is it possible… it is now natural… it is who we are. Rehearsing the gospel helps us remember who we were and who we now are in Christ.


Step 5: Spirit-led Obedience
In John 15:4-5, Jesus says to "Abide in me, and I in you... for apart from me you can do nothing." There is a CONTINUAL DEPENDENCY implied in this verse. We must remain in Christ in order to produce fruit. Perhaps the overarching purpose of this series of blogs is to argue that one of the best ways to abide in Christ (and in turn bear fruit) is to remember the work of Christ on our behalf. Remember it daily... even throughout the day! Apply it to every situation and circumstance. In Galatians, Paul says it like this: "Walk in the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh" (5:16).

 Finally we come to the point of human responsibility. To abide in Christ and walk in the Spirit seem to be the primary responsibilities of the believer. All other actions are an outworking of these. Let's use the greatest commandment as our example: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind" (Luke 10:27).

 In my flesh, I would never love God. Jesus died on the cross to forgive me of all the times that I did not and do not love God rightly. Jesus always loved God perfectly. Because of Jesus sacrifice on the cross, God looks at me as if I've always loved Him perfectly. Through remembering the gospel, grace and the Spirit change my heart to WANT to love God rightly. We could even be so bold as to say that the Spirit of God is always loving God perfectly in me; and because of this, the new man (the new creation) that is the new me is loving God rightly. Now I can move forward in confidence knowing that it is not ultimately my love for God that justifies me but His love for me... and this makes me want to love Him all the more.

 This is an appropriate way to end this series of posts: reflecting on the love of God. It is His love for us that fuels the gospel. His love for us compelled Him to make "Himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross" (Phil. 2:7-8).

 I hope that these posts have been helpful for you. These are no doubt thoughts from the fallible mind of one man. They are simply how I have come to see things. They are a small picture of how Christ, in recent days, has freed me from the law of sin and death... not just through justification (which He did almost 21 years ago - or 2000 years ago - depending on how you look at it :-) but in sanctification. I pray that none of my words have caused anyone to stumble in any way. I pray, most of all, that these thoughts compel you to dive into the Scriptures for yourself and discover the wonders of His glorious grace.

In Christ,
Andy



No comments: