Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Eternal Perspective in a Used Book Store

Yesterday I walked into a used book store where three very long and tall shelves were devoted to the Christian religion. These shelves were covered with Bibles, topical studies, theology, biblical languages, church history, and more. Some of these books were old...very old.

As I glanced at one particular multi-volume set of books, each book in the set containing at least five hundred pages, I thought to myself, "That's a man's life's work." 

Obviously a person's value or contribution to the greater good cannot be boiled down to a set of books, but it's also sobering to think that so much of what this man had worked for now sat neglected on the bottom shelf in a used book store. Chances are... these books may never be read again. It was kinda sad to think about, but it was also sobering.

Having immersed myself for almost four years now in seminary studies while at the same time preparing weekly messages for our youth group, there has, in recent days, been a pull in my heart toward understanding more of the great theologians of church history and producing the kind of writing they are known for. Neither of these ambitions are, in-and-of themselves, absolutely right or wrong, because both carry with them a mixture of both fleshly and spiritual motivation. This is like most anything in life.

But as I looked at that expansive work on the bottom shelf, I wondered if my life's work, whatever it may be, might one day be confined to the bottom of shelf...or perhaps even the backyard bonfire. I stepped back from the shelf and said out loud, "This is ALL going to burn." From Calvin to Swindoll, it's all temporary. The greatest literary accomplishments of man will not last.

Embarrassed, I looked around to see if anyone heard my instinctive outburst. Luckily, I was alone, but as I left the shop, a profound (for me anyway) truth still rattled around in my head. It's a question I ask myself almost everyday, though it takes different forms: "What are you spending your life on?" 

The wisest man (except for Jesus) who ever lived said, "My son, be warned: the writing of many books is endless, and excessive devotion to books is wearying to the body" (Eccl. 12:12 NASB). Seminary students offer a hearty, "Amen!"

Do books have their place? Absolutely! Even the Apostle Paul desired to have his books by his side in prison (2 Tim. 4:13). Does writing have its place? Of course! We learn to clarify our thinking and grow in wisdom and are in turn able to share that wisdom most effectively with others through writing. No one would argue otherwise.

The point is... we should do all of these things with an eternal perspective. The number of books you have read is not equal to your value as a human being (You laugh, but I've met many who think this way, and, sadly, have at times struggled with it myself.). If I read, it should be to understand God or life better or to enjoy God or life in richer ways. It should press me toward sanctification and a fuller existence as a redeemed human being. If I write, I should do so to clarify my own thoughts about God and life or as a means to more fully enjoy God and the life He has given me. Reading and writing should be worship! 

I'm thankful for the lesson those massive shelves of books taught me. I hope I don't soon forget it.

In Christ,
Andy

No comments: