Sunday, July 4, 2010

Serve One Another in Love

My mother always says, "If you're ever down and discouraged, go do something for someone else." I think she got this quote from her mother, and I hope my children get it from me.

Serving someone else truly is the best medicine, and not just for the other person, but especially for ourselves. When we choose to give of our time or resources for the good of another person, something otherworldly happens, another is cared for, and our spirits are lifted. This doesn't completely make sense to me. My tendency, when struggling with a question or fear, is to turn inward. I like to lock myself in my studio or go back to sleep. But, more often than not, this only compounds the problem.

The mind is limited in its understanding. The reality is that not all of our doubts and fears will receive sufficient answers, particularly in the moment we desire them most. Our emotions also are very limited. They can be a great friend in times of joy or an incredible hindrance during a struggle. But serving another person, loving as Christ loved, seems to supersede the limitations of both the mind and the emotions. Love brings clarity to the mind and balance to the emotions.

I think this is what Paul was hinting at when he said in Galatians 5:13:
"For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.'"

No comments: