Thursday, August 18, 2011

My Moldovan Journal: Part 3 - Babylon

On the second day of camp in Moldova we were discussing the topic of sin. In my devotion group we began to list sins that seem prevelant around us and sins that we struggle with. Our attention turned to TV, music, fashion, and movies. After I had beat up on these media outlets in a fairly self-righteous way for a few moments, one of the kids looked at me and said, “But all of this stuff comes from America.”

He could have just as well stood up and punched me in the gut.

Immediately I was reminded of Revelation 18: “Fallen, fallen is Babylon the great! … For all the nations have drunk the wine of the passion of her sexual immorality.”

Has there ever been a time in history when it was possible for the whole world to look upon one nation and follow her into all kinds of sin? Has there ever been a nation in history that has spread sin so infectiously. Rome's influence was vast... as was Greece's and Persia's before it. But no nation on earth has ever had the impact that the US is having today. Almost the whole world desires to emulate Hollywood and NYC.

The point of this post is not to argue that the US is the Babylon of Revelation but rather that the spirit of Babylon which influences the entire earth is most certainly here. So, what are believers to do? The prophecy continues, “Come out of her, my people, lest you take part in her sins, lest you share in her plagues.”

In my opinion, this is not necessarily a physical coming out (at least not at this point) but rather a decision-making process by which we choose to flee from the influences of the spirit of Babylon. And while it would be just as simple for me to begin naming TV shows, songs on the radio, and movies that I believe are unrighteous, I think a question is more appropriate for this generation:

If you really believe that the Lord is OK with your intake of these influences, at what point is enough enough? How much immorality is too much? How much of the spirit of Babylon is ok to stay in?

I pray that His people will come out of her. In my personal walk with the Lord, I have found that there is a direct correlation between my joy and contentment in the Lord and my willingness to deny myself the pleasures of Babylon. So, when we come out of her, we're really not giving up anything at all! We're gaining the greatest joy in heaven and on earth! As Piper says, “We're like little children who are content to play in mud pies while a day in the beach awaits us” (paraphrase).

Blessings on you as we learn together what it means to take up our cross daily and follow Jesus!

In Christ,
Andy

No comments: