Tuesday, August 2, 2011

My Moldovan Journal: Part 1 - Hope

Two days ago I left a piece of my heart in a small country in eastern Europe known as Moldova. Its countryside is magnificent and its people humble and welcoming. While there, God gave me the blessing of being able to speak into the lives of several students whom I will not soon forget. Needless to say, their effect on me was just as signifcant, and I wish to write about my brief journey as a way to internalize the deep lessons that the Lord taught me. There is literally a pain in my heart at the thought that I would forget any of these spiritual truths that have been so life-changing.

Almost 10 years ago I was on a plane flying across the pacific ocean with similar thoughts in my head and feelings in my heart. After spending 5 weeks at a local school in the heart of China, my team and I boarded a bus to head to the airport. It was in this moment that I was struck by a scene that will never leave my memory so long as I live. As our bus pulled away, more than fifty students surrounded the vehicle with tears and good-byes. One particular student pressed his face against the glass of the window, and, for a moment, time stood still. On his face was a look of despair and hopelessness, sadness and emptiness. I knew that this young boy had little chance of ever hearing the gospel again, and I shared in his despair because I knew I was leaving him alone.

Now, please don't misunderstand me. I know that God is sovereign, and I know that He can draw this boy by any means that He wishes. He can provide many more opportunities for him to hear the gospel and accept it. But such truths are much easier to embrace and hold on to in a classroom than in a moment like this, especially for a 19-year-old who has yet to see much of the blackness of this fallen world.

Back to two days ago. This time it was the students leaving on a bus, headed back to their hometown... back to their lives, school, families, and friends. But, this time there was a difference from 10 years ago. Yes, tears were shed, hugs were had, and parting words were sweet. The difference between leaving my students in China and leaving these students is profound.

You see, in the same town to which these students were returning, there is a church. Oh sure, there are many religious buildings, but I know for sure that there is at least one church. And this church is lead by two godly men who desire to see their city won for Christ. They labor tirelessly in the fields of harvest each week, seeking out the lost and preaching the gospel.

Yes, my parting with the Moldovan students was difficult and sad, but in this case, I have great hope! The hope of the nations is Jesus Christ and His good news, and the means by which He has chosen to share that good news and live it out is His body, the church.

I pray that we all realize how this principle applies directly to each one of us, whether our home is in the poorest country in Europoe or the wealthiest country on earth. Jesus is the hope of the nations, and His body lives and breathes that hope!

In Christ,
Andy

No comments: