Monday, August 8, 2011

My Son's First Communion

Last night was my son's first experience in "Big Church." We had a time of testimony about the missions efforts of our church this summer, and we thought it would be good to have him be a part. I was so proud of how well he sat and listened, sang the songs that he knew, and bowed his head during the prayer time.

Half-way through the service we took communion; and while we had discussed this ordinance with Ethan a few weeks ago, we neglected to give him a pre-game refresher. As the bread was passed I motioned to the deacon to skip my son (for he has not yet made a profession of faith). He was devastated. He immediately began crying, and I could tell he was also embarrassed. Everyone else around him was getting a piece of bread… why wasn’t he?

It was a difficult moment for me as a parent. Part of me thinks, “What could it hurt?” But, then I remember how valuable this teachable moment really is. You see, reserving communion for the regenerate alone is a beautiful witness to those among us who have not yet received the body of Christ broken for them the blood of Christ poured out for them. It symbolizes in a very real way their spiritual need.

Modern parenting experts would say that my actions most likely caused psychological trauma to my son, but I would have to disagree… depending on what they mean. If they mean that our Father, in his grace, provided my son an opportunity early on in life to see his state of lostness, perhaps they are correct. If they (or you) are worried about my son feeling affirmed in spite of his being denied communion… worry not. This was also a wonderful time for me to pull him to my side and kiss his head and whisper, “I promise we’ll talk about this later. I’ll explain why you couldn’t have a piece of bread.” Now comes another opportunity provided by my Father to bring my son along in his discipleship process.

Thank you Father for these holy moments. May I have eyes to see them each and every day, especially with the precious children you’ve entrusted to me.

In Christ,
Andy

No comments: